Friday, October 5, 2012

Devotional 10-5-12


In this mid-Pentecost season, a number of the lectionary readings have said some pretty powerful things about what we do with our lives if we are to be true disciples of Jesus.  As one example, the reading in Mark about Peter’s confession at Caesarea Phillippi asks some harsh questions.  Mark is the earliest of the gospel accounts written and is most direct and terse.  Matthew and Luke tame this story.  In Mark, Peter is rebuked for his understanding of who Messiah is.  In Matthew, Peter is praised for acknowledgment of Messiah and told that he is the rock on which Jesus would build his church.  Luke says nothing of what Matthew says, but he softens the exchange between Jesus and Peter, saying nothing about any harsh words between them as found in Mark.

 

Read this exchange between Peter and Jesus in Mark 8:27-38.

 

As the passage proceeds, Jesus says some scandalous things about who he is.   Peter believed that the Messiah is the one they had been expecting for centuries whom God would anoint to lead the revolt and overthrow their dictators and oppressors.  “You’re the one!”, Peter thought.  “We’re ready to pick up the sword and to be your captains to stir the people up to follow your lead.”  But Jesus in turn rebuked Peter in front of the other disciples:  called him a name – Satan.  “Shame on you, Peter!  I’m talking about the ways of God and your mind is trapped by your own expectations.  I am NOT going to be a worldly liberator who will free the people from tyranny.  You have your mind set on your own earthly expectations and not the ways of God.” 

More scandalous, Jesus told them that Messiah must suffer and be rejected by their own religious leaders – must be killed and rise again.

Still more scandalous, Jesus told the listening crowd that if they wanted to save their lives, they were to take up their crosses and follow Jesus.  “You who try to save your lives will lose them, and those who lose their lives for my sake and the gospel will save them.”

At first reading, we are not really threatened by this.  What are the chances that something will force us to make a discipleship choice that could cause us to lose our lives?  Actually and physically to suffer and die for Jesus?   For most of us, this is pretty remote, really.  But read the text again with the understanding of “trying to save our lives” meaning saving the way of life that is known, comfortable, prosperous, and safe when discipleship calls us to relinquish that comfort or prosperity or safety in behalf of the compassionate and merciful and peaceful ways of Jesus.   That’s different.  Threatening.  Hard.   Discipleship has its ultimate reward of blessing with God.  In the meantime, discipleship may be costly – costing us a way of life that is contrary to our Christlike calling.

O Jesus, I have promised to serve Thee to the end;
Be Thou forever near me, my Master and my Friend;
I shall not fear the battle if Thou art by my side,
Nor wander from the pathway if Thou wilt be my Guide.


O let me see thy footprints, and in them plant my own,
My cross to carry fully, to trust your strength alone.
Let me deny my lifestyle when varied from your ways.
Receive me then in Heaven at the ending of my days.

Rev. Jack Lipphardt

No comments: