Friday, August 15, 2014

Devotional 8-15-14

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”  Jeremiah 29:11

A dear neighbor of mine sent me an e-mail that began with this verse from Jeremiah. The e-mail describes life as a train ride that begins at birth when we board the train to meet our parents, and we believe that they travel at our side until they step down from the train, leaving us on this journey alone. As time goes by, other people will board the train; some will be significant such as siblings, friends, children, and even the love of our life. Many will leave a permanent vacuum when they step down.  Others will go unnoticed so that we do not realize they have vacated their seats! This train ride will be full of joy, sorrow, fantasy, expectations, hellos, and farewells.

Success consists of having a good relationship with all passengers….requiring that we give the best of ourselves. The mystery is we do not know at which station we ourselves will step down. So we must live in the best way—love, forgive, and offer the best of who we are.  It is important to do this because when the time comes for us to step down and leave our seat empty we should leave behind beautiful memories for those who will continue to travel on the train of life.

The remainder of the e-mail consisted of my sweet neighbor wishing me well on my journey and thanking me for being one of the passengers on her train. If only all of us could be the kind of passenger that she is.  She is always there.  She even planted my flowers this year!

I have had some major health problems this year.  To be honest, I have thought that I might have to get off the train at times.  I wondered about the memories I would leave behind.  As Jeremiah said, God has a plan for me and I feel that He has “Touched Me” and I hope to live life in the best way as I continue my train ride. Come join my neighbor and me to make the best memories on our ride!

Carol Brown

No comments: