Friday, August 8, 2014

Devotional 8-8-14

Please read the scripture for today’s devotion:  Genesis 37: 1-28

Genesis can be such a challenging book, full of lots of information. But what I like to call the “short stories” of the Old Testament can indeed be full of intrigue, holding my attention.

In Chapter 37, I find this to be true in the story of Joseph, Jacob’s eleventh son. In the beginning of the story, we learn that Jacob has presented a beautiful coat of many colors to Joseph –something none of his brothers have ever received. We learn that, of all his sons, Jacob favors Joseph the most.  His brothers are well aware of this favoritism, and have grown quite jealous of Joseph. They become so angry about it that they begin plotting to get rid of him. They are even more convinced this is a good idea after Joseph shares two of his dreams with them—dreams of his greatness and power over them. This is just the beginning of Joseph’s story and, like a good novel, we want to read on to find out what happens to him.

Reading this story for the first time in a very long time, details become more significant. Joseph’s dreaming reminds me of times in my life in which I’ve dreamed, or hoped, or wished  for something specific to happen. How often have I said, “I wish…” or “I hope…”?  Was Joseph’s power and superiority going to happen because he had dreamed of it happening, maybe even wished hard for it to happen? Or was it already God’s plan for Joseph?

I have come to believe that God has always had a plan for me.  I believe He knows me better than I know myself.  And I’m quite sure God expects my active participation in His plan!  With this realization, I’ve tried to quit wishing and dreaming  (not always so easy!) and begin instead to hear what God has to say.  Simple steps, really—just  listen ,understand, and follow through. Seems to make a lot of sense, don’t you think?

Prayer:
Dear God, help me to take time each day to talk with You, and to listen. Then, I ask that You be with me as I follow through.  Thanks, Heavenly Father.  Amen

No comments: