Friday, May 1, 2015

Devotional 5-1-15

I’m Covered

My husband and I were married on May 2, 1975. We shared a Plymouth Duster, so our first apartment in Spring Valley was too far from work to be convenient. Next we moved into the second floor of a house on 8th Avenue in Huntington. Unfortunately it was already occupied by a family of mice, so in 1977 an upstairs flat on Lincoln Place became our home.

Life was good, but like all married couples, we had disagreements. When we had an argument, I found that I could have the last word if I went to another room and closed the door firmly. Very firmly.

One day we had a heated difference of opinion.  I yelled “something ugly” as my mother used to say, ran into the bathroom, and slammed the door firmly. Very firmly.  Immediately I was covered in white powder, and pieces of the ceiling were on the floor and hanging from the rafters above.  When the reality of the situation set in, I did the reasonable thing. I opened the door and squeaked, “Don, can you help me?”

As he turned the corner, ready to continue the argument, he looked at my ashen face and wrapped his arms around me. My door slamming days were over. My hero had saved me.

On May 2, 2015, Don and I will celebrate forty years of marriage. I started to write “marital bliss”, but anyone who knows us knows that it would not be blissful to live with either of us. 1Peter 4:8 says, “Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.” I love this scripture. It is so timeless.  Don and I have deepened our love with every high and low we’ve shared. The birth of our children, the death of parents, the welcoming of in-laws, and the births of grandchildren make up for any angry word or inconsiderate act. It was true in Peter’s time. It is true today.
 
Please pray this prayer for all couples who are striving to live a life blessed by God.

O Perfect Love by Dorothy Gurney, 1883

O perfect Love, all human thought transcending,
lowly we kneel in prayer before thy throne,
that theirs may be the love which knows no ending,
whom thou forevermore dost join in one.

O perfect Life, be thou their full assurance,
of tender charity and steadfast faith,
of patient hope and quiet, brave endurance,
with childlike trust that fears no pain nor death.

 Grant them the joy which brightens earthly sorrow:
grant them the peace which calms all earthly strife,
and to life’s day the glorious unknown morrow
that dawns upon eternal love and life.

Amen

Becky Warren

No comments: