Monday, July 11, 2016

Devotional 7-10-16

Living Vicariously vs. Skin in the Game

"I wish I could do that.” "I wish I could go there." If I had a nickel for each and every time I've said that I would look like Scrooge McDuck pushing a wheelbarrow full of coins > there would be MANY. We are offered a lot of opportunity in these modern times to live vicariously through other people's adventures: FaceBook, Instagram, Twitter and the like. We read their journals and thumb through their pictures and say, "I wish I could do that." 

Beginning July 2nd we have been deep in the throes of the Tour de France. The Tour is the absolute ultimate biker's event. This year the Grand Depart was hosted in the La Manche region in northwest France. Before Stage 1 was complete, the riders would pass by the stunningly beautiful abbey, Mont Saint Michel.  Helicopters carrying commentators flew above and around the bikes and flashed scenes of incredible architecture, history and topography. I am a casual cyclist. As one who occasionally turns the pedals, I sit in my easy chair, watching the race and saying, "I wish I could do that." I live vicariously through the riders who are actually there. Well, heck. That's no good. I will NEVER ride in the Tour de France. Does that mean I should ONLY watch and wish? It does not. I climb on my bike and (hopefully) with some friends, take off along the roads of our wonderful Tri-State area. Along with the great country bi-ways, the smell of newly cut grass and the fresh air - I get to experience flat tires, pot holes and dogs dead set on chewing the pedals off my bike. But I've got skin in the game.

50 miles not 100+. 20mph not 45. Fitness and pleasure of the ride; not the yellow, green or polka dot jersey. Skin in the game!

Parts of our state were recently ravaged by flooding. Before and after photos placed side by side leave us in a condition of un-belief. That can't possibly be the same place. I have, as many have, been moved by all of pictures on TV of people who have poured into the area to help. We watch the stories and say, "I wish I could do that." Well, here's your chance. These folks need prayer - no doubt. But we need not sit in front of the television and live vicariously though those helpers we watch. Pope Francis is quoted as saying, "You pray for the hungry. Then you feed them. That's how prayer works." Can we substitute (for a brief moment anyway) 'hungry' for 'those affected by flooding'? Maybe you can't go to Clay or Clendenin or Rainelle and muck out a house or remove debris. But you can...shop for cleaning supplies, pack a flood bucket, send a meal, take out your check book. Put some skin in the game.

I have been moved by the stories of those that have been the hands and feet of Christ. Groups from my home church have gone to work. I have seen contributions arrive from all over the country. Physical supplies from neighboring states. Monetary gifts from as far as the west coast. Many with notes; praying for WV. First you pray for the flooded. Then you help them.  That's how prayer works. 

Jesus moved from  town to town with his friends. He prayed and taught and healed. A pretty good gig - right? Luke, chapter 9 tells us of the moment when Jesus 'turned his face towards Jerusalem'.  He knew that a journey into that town was not going to be all knuckle bumps and high fives. Self sacrifice would be the order of the day. God's plan required skin in the game.


Take a glance around your house. Look at all of the things that represent your life and have deep meaning...now imagine that they are underwater. Say a pray and put some skin in the game.

Steve Matthews

No comments: