Friday, July 13, 2007

Devotional 7-12-07

Serving God


Lectionary Readings: Amos 7:7-17; Psalm 82; Colossians 1:1-14; and Luke 10: 25-37.

The lectionary readings this week share a few examples of what it means to be a follower of Christ. The Psalmist urges us to “rescue the weak and needy”. God showed Amos a “plumb line” that would be used to measure the behavior of Israel. In Colossians, Paul recognizes the leadership of Epaphras (founder of the church at Colossae), who led the congregation to “bear fruit” after hearing and believing in the Good News. And in Luke, the story of the Good Samaritan—is almost too well known to retell.

I struggle on a daily basis with the conflict between desiring control and relinquishing control of my life to God. I guess I don’t mind helping others as long as I can choose the time and the place and all the “particulars”. I can contribute from a safe distance with my checkbook and feel that I’ve “done my part”. However, most of Jesus’ examples of servanthood: washing feet, caring for the injured, curing the diseased, etc. demand that we offer ourselves in a more personal nature: with our hearts and hands. The following is an inspirational song about servants from THE FAITH WE SING:

The Servant Song
by Richard Gillard

Brother, sister, let me serve you, Let me be as Christ to you;
Pray that I may have the grace to Let you be my servant, too.

We are pilgrims on a journey; we’re together on this road.
We are here to help each other Walk the mile and bear the load.

I will hold the Christ-light for you in the night-time of your fear;
I will hold my hand out to you, speak the peace you long to hear.

I will weep when you are weeping; when you laugh, I’ll laugh with you.
I will share your joy and sorrow till we’ve seen this journey through.

When we sing to God in heaven, we shall find such harmony,
Born of all we’ve known together of Christ’s love and agony.


If we consider our history, we have had many shining examples of servanthood in the persons of Biblical figures, religious leaders, ministers, teachers, missionaries, family, friends and coworkers. What servant-like actions have we observed that we can model in our own lives? You can rely on the probability that all the best role models provided examples of person-to-person assistance—“up close and personal”. What endeavors, challenges or opportunities for service is God calling us to take on? It may be that a check is all that is required, but it also may be that we need to invest some actual muscle or sweat. Whatever is required, God promises to guide each step. The way has been prepared by those who have showed us their examples. Each of us has unique gifts and talents—What will be our response to God’s call?

Dear Father and Mother who provides all the loving examples for us to follow: Help us to do your will so that we may all be “caught being like Jesus” in our daily walk. Help us to hear Your voice above the din of the world’s noise so that our path may be clear. Thank you for our role models and the gifts of servanthood that they have shared with us. As Jesus taught us, AMEN.

Chyrl Budd

No comments: