Friday, July 6, 2007

July 6, 2007 Devotional

Psalm 30
A psalm. A song. For the dedication of the temple. Of David.
1 I will exalt you, O LORD,
for you lifted me out of the depths
and did not let my enemies gloat over me.
2 O LORD my God, I called to you for help
and you healed me.
3 O LORD, you brought me up from the grave;
you spared me from going down into the pit.
4 Sing to the LORD, you saints of his;
praise his holy name.
5 For his anger lasts only a moment,
but his favor lasts a lifetime;
weeping may remain for a night,
but rejoicing comes in the morning.
6 When I felt secure, I said,
"I will never be shaken."
7 O LORD, when you favored me,
you made my mountain stand firm;
but when you hid your face,
I was dismayed.
8 To you, O LORD, I called;
to the Lord I cried for mercy:
9 "What gain is there in my destruction,
in my going down into the pit?
Will the dust praise you?
Will it proclaim your faithfulness?
10 Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me;
O LORD, be my help."
11 You turned my wailing into dancing;
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
12 that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.

As I read this passage I could not help but to think of the people in Mississippi that our Mission Team had just served a few weeks ago. Here were persons that had been thrust into despair nearly two years ago when a devil of a hurricane (Katrina) turned their lives upside down. Some had lost everything, some had their homes damaged, others had fled, to what they thought was safety, but only to be followed by this same storm. And when returning home heard gun shots just down the street from their house. They were not in despair nor were they wailing from the destruction. For their GOD had lifted them out of the depths. How strong the faith of Miss Edna, Mr. Robinson, Mr. Hinchman, Diane and Vicki. As I refect upon this passage and on the people in Mississippi I know that know matter what falls on me GOD is there to lift me up. GOD will be merciful to me, "for his favor lasts a lifetime" and I will sing to the Lord my GOD and give him thanks forever.

Side note, Since March of this year GOD has called nearly 8000 persons to serve the people of Mississippi . Praise be to GOD!!!

Fred Herr

No comments: