Thursday, July 19, 2007

Devotional 7-20-07

Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants. --Deuteronomy 32:2

Not only was the Teacher wise, but also he imparted knowledge to the people. He pondered and searched out and set in order many proverbs. --Ecclesiates 12:9

In late May, I was distressed that I couldn't attend the funeral of a friend. It was the same morning as the last day of class for my 3-year-old preschool class. I called two substitutes who help us regularly, but neither could come, and I didn't want to leave "my" kids with a stranger on the last day of school. I consoled myself with the thought that John Paul Childers would certainly understand putting one's students first.

John Paul was one of the true saints of our church. He taught the College Class way-back-when, and all of us who were his students felt the warmth and commitment of one who put us first. It's not unusual for college students to drop-out of church for a few years, but John Paul kept us coming Sunday after Sunday. I recall one Sunday he showed up and announced he'd returned from vacation a day early because he didn't want to miss being with us. My friend Jean Simmons tells that several years later he came to teach the Sunday following his own son's tragic death in an automobile accident. I will always remember him hugging me the Sunday morning after the Marshall plane crash and saying, "Tears are for the living."

When I think back on those days, I can't recall many specific lessons, but I do remember that J.P. made us feel valued and loved and special. Many of John Paul's students are still active members of churches today. Hopefully we have made him proud.

Well done, good and faithful servant! .....Come and share your master's happiness!' --Matthew 25:21 Rest in peace.

Anita Gardner Farrell

No comments: