Friday, August 23, 2013

Devotional 8-23-13

I was amazed by the number of our members that came to the church picnic. In faith they came despite the rain. I bought bubble bottles thinking it would be fun for the kids. Well, Cordie Jo loved them. She danced in the rain and showed us what being young is all about.  Pastor Joe talked to me about the good fish that fisherman catch and the bad fish that are put back in the water.  Is it better to be a good fish or a bad fish that is set free? Awe. Think about the good fish will be kept for us to eat and the bad fish will be put back in the water. We will not know what happens to those fish as we know that they were not good enough for us to keep.

How do we judge a good fish from a bad fish?  We look at people for what they do or maybe how they are dressed, or how much money they have.  Is it better to be a good fish or a bad fish?

I also have to share a story about the fly that landed in my bottled water.  As I do not drink soda if they are not sugar free and decaffeinated, I had a bottle of water at the picnic. Safe, right? Well, as I was taking a sip I noticed a fly had made its way into my bottled water just as I drank from it. I could not shoo it away, and being the person that I am I decided to drown it in that bottle. Jennifer Hill and Stephanie Malcom were sitting with me.  I did everything I could to kill that fly in my bottle, and no matter what I did that fly came up swimming the back stroke.  After several tries and even pouring some Diet Pepsi on it still survived.  I finally poured it out in a bowl and helped it out of the liquids it had been entrapped in. We watched as the fly patiently dried its wings and slowly overcame the situation it had gotten itself into. We watched as it eventually flew away despite the troubles it had gotten into.

Moral: Even though you think you are a good fish you are no better than a bad fish.  Most of us are like the fly in my water bottle, and we struggle, and then if we are lucky we are set free by our faith of someone who cares for us either earthly or by our faith in our religious beliefs.


A lesson I learned today.

Jean Ramsey

No comments: